In this tutorial, I will show you how to save iMovie mp4 video files.
Believe it or not but this is quite a common question as the iMovie is optimized for uploading files to YouTube and other services and saving them on the computer. But it is fairly easy and similar process no matter what device you use: Mac, iPad or iPhone.
Before we start one word, saving a video and saving iMovie project is not the same thing and in this tutorial, I am talking about saving the file, the end product of editing process, a vide that you can watch.
I will only cover how to save files on Mac but when I have some free time I will add some more information for iPad nad iPhone users. OK, let’s get started.
Saving iMovie video on Mac
1. First open iMovie, import your file or files and do the editing.
2. Go to the top menu and click File and then move the cursor down to Share options. You should see something similar to this:
3. As you can see, there should be another submenu visible with some options. Go right and to the very bottom and select File.
4. A new window will appear giving you some options like: setting title, descriptions and tags of your imovie clip.
You can also choose the imovie format (choose video if you want to save your file as mp4), resolution (540, 720 HD and 1080 Full HD), quality and compressions. The settings you enter will have an impact on file size and the time needed to save the file. If you are happy with the settings, click Next button.
5. You will see additional window:
It is fairly self-explanatory. You are able to save imovie file in any location on your computer. You can choose the hard drive or USB drive if you want to take the file with you. Choose where you want to save it and click Save button. Depending on the file size, saving your iMovie file it can take some time. In the right top corner, you can see the progress. As soon as this process is finished, your Mac will display short notification and the file is saved.
That is all really. I think it is always a good idea to check if the video produced in iMovie is of good quality before closing the program. If everything is good, you can save your project and close down the software.
I hope that this was easy and now you know how to save iMovie to your computer. Please let me know in the comments below if you have any questions.